The Fourth of July is almost here, and that means it's time to party at The Neidhammer! Our Fourth of July Celebration from 11 am until 4 pm at The Neidhammer will include live music by Through Being Cool, a wine and beer garden, games, food trucks, face painting, a bounce house, and best of all...a pie baking contest.
Do you think you make the best pie in Indy? Enter our contest!
- Pie must be entered in the name of the person who made it.
- This contest is intended for ages 8 and up, amateur bakers only. Professional bakers or those who earn a portion of their livelihood from baking or cooking may not enter the contest.
- Each dessert pie must be made from scratch and based in a disposable 9" pie plate/pan. Each pie must include a disposable serving utensil and a cover. You may not use pie filling or pre-made store-bought crust.
- Categories are (a) Kids ages 8-17, and (b) Adults ages 18 and up.
- To enter your pie, bring your pie to the 3rd floor of the Hamilton Theater of the Neidhammer at 2102 East Washington Street between 11:30 am - 1:30 pm on the day of the pie baking contest. The staff running the pie baking contest will have the final say on acceptability of pies. Pies must be in an appropriate covered disposable container with a disposable serving utensil until judging.
- The Health Department says no pies that require refrigeration (ie dairy or cream pies).
- Only one entry per person per category.
- Judging will be be from 1:30 pm - 2 pm.
- There will be a minimum of three judges.
- Criteria includes overall appearance, crust color/texture/doneness/flavor, filling consistency/doneness/flavor, and overall taste.
- Each judge assigns a numerical value (1-5) in each criteria category without consultation with the other judges.
- The pie receiving the highest total numerical value is the winner in that category.
- In the case of a tie, the judges will judge those pies again.
- The decision of the judges is final. Judges will not know contestant names.
Winners will be announced after judging around 3 pm. Participants have to be present during the contest and judging. All pies become property of The Neidhammer after the finish of the contest. For more information, call Elli at 317.402.0786.
To register, fill out the following form and bring a copy the day of the contest. If you are a winner, you give your permission to have your photo taken during or after the announcement ceremony and have it used for Pie Contest promotional materials, including The Neidhammer website and associated social media pages. A copy of your pie recipe with a list of ingredients must be provided on a 3x5" card, with the recipe name, contestant name, and phone number at the time of the pie drop off.